Programmable thermostats can save you up to $180 a year in lower energy bills.
Awesome, right? But do you know which one to buy?
These 3 tips will help you find the programmable thermostat that’s perfect for your family.
1. Pick one that fits your weekly schedule
What’s your weekly schedule like? Do you work 8-5 during the week, but have random weekend schedules? Or maybe your work schedule changes week to week.
Keep this in mind when buying a programmable thermostat: buying the wrong scheduling model will prevent you from getting the energy savings you want.
Programmable thermostats have 4 available scheduling models:
7-Day: Program a different schedule for every day of the week. Perfect for if you have a complex, always-changing schedule. But this is also generally the most expensive option.
5-1-1 Day: Program 3 temperature schedules:
5-2 Day: Program 2 temperature schedules:
1-Week: Program one schedule for the entire week. This offers the least customization, but it’s also generally the cheapest model.
2. Make sure it can work with your air conditioning/heating system
Some programmable thermostats don’t work with certain air conditioning/heating systems, like multi-stage systems. Check the programmable thermostat’s product description to see what systems it’s compatible with.
You can also purchase your new thermostat from Kelley Brothers when you are purchasing a new air conditioner, heat pump or furnace. Our techs can help you pick the perfect programmable thermostat that will work best with your new system and your schedule.
3. Find the features you want
Programmable thermostats have a wide variety of features. And that list is growing.
Features that make them easier to use (and therefore help you save money) include:
- Digital, backlit displays
- Touch pad screens
- Voice instructions and alerts
- Hold/Vacation features
- Mobile app usability
- Other great money-saving features include:
- Auto heat/cool switch- Switches your system from heating to air conditioning and vice versa when needed.
- Adjustable cycle- Keeps your heating and air conditioning system from turning on and off too frequently.
- Dirty air filter alert- Tells you when it’s time to change the air filter. A dirty air filter can restrict airflow and make your air conditioning/heating system run longer. Meaning higher energy bills.
There are several other available features, but these are the most important ones you should consider.
Kelley Brothers can help you find the programmable thermostat that’s perfect for your family and install it for you. Contact us to talk to one of our experts for help. Please note that we can work with all kinds of thermostats. So if you don’t want a digital one and want to keep things basic, we can do that too!
(Source: 3 Quick Tips for Buying the Right Programmable Thermostat, George Brazil)